DOK V “Oral Invaginations” C60



Oh jeebus Christmas, c’mon dude. I have to listen to 60 minutes of something called Oral Invaginations? Doubt that’s gonna happen. I’m a grown-ass man. I’m an adult. I will spend my time doing positive things, like going for a run, or maybe listening to a different goddamn tape. I will spend my time doing something other than listening to dok v’s Oral Invaginations from Macon, Georgia.

But since I still have to write this thing, and I can’t just stand here and point incredulously at the title in its sub–MS Paint font for my review (or can I? Hmmm…), I’ll dutifully spin this and see where it goes. I’m not expecting much.

And you shouldn’t either. “Lenny” on side A is swirling puke electronics and disembodied pitch-shifted voices, and that does not a fun time make, unless you’re into it. And maybe on a better day I would be – maybe if I didn’t have to suck it up and flip it to side B I’d be happier about it. But no, side B, the title track, is another 30 minutes of swirling puke electronics and disembodied pitch-shifted voices. Why on earth is this called Oral Invaginations? I swear to god, I’m sick of thinking about it.

Maybe if I didn’t want to throw this tape against the wall before I even listened to it I’d have a better reaction. Probably not. But seriously, if you can get past the title and have a penchant for, er, swirling puke electronics and disembodied pitch-shifted voices, you might dig it. But I warn you – 99.43 percent of you will not.

--Ryan Masteller